APhA COVID-19 Resources: Know the Facts
Practical Information for Pharmacists to Know Now
- COVID-19 Vaccine Summary Chart: A reference that compares key information about the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Janssen COVID-19 vaccines and summarizes the CDC's clinical considerations. (PDF) - NEW!
- Reimbursement for Administration of COVID-19 Vaccine(s)—What We Know: This resource provides an overview of what we know about COVID-19 vaccine reimbursement at this time and covers steps pharmacists can take now to be positioned as a COVID-19 vaccine provider. (PDF) - UPDATED!
- Minimizing COVID-19 Vaccine Dose Variability: Recommendations for vaccine withdrawal and administration techniques to decrease variability between doses. (PDF) - NEW!
- Understanding and Addressing Vaccine Hesitancy During COVID-19: A comprehensive resource that helps pharmacists prepare to engage in productive conversations with patients about immunizations. (PDF)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Development and Approval: This resource outlines how the COVID-19 vaccines have been developed and approved at unprecedented speeds without compromising safety. (PDF)
- Considerations for COVID-19 Vaccination in Immunocompromised Patients: An FAQ about the use and safety of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines in patients who are immunosuppressed. (PDF)
- Considerations for COVID-19 Vaccination During Pregnancy and Lactation: An FAQ about the use and safety of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines in patients who are pregnant or breastfeeding. (PDF)
- Key Points About COVID-19 Vaccines: This resource summarizes key information to help pharmacists and their team address common questions. Hang up this handout in the pharmacy or give it to patients! (PDF)
Immunizing During COVID-19
- Authority to Immunize Against COVID-19: A comparison chart about the requirements for pharmacists and pharmacy interns (active, inactive or retired), as well as pharmacy technicians to provide COVID-19 vaccines under new HHS authority during the public health emergency. (PDF)
- Vaccine and Storage Handling: A guide to help pharmacists identify key components of the CDC VFC recommendations. To protect the integrity of vaccine supply and to secure access to vaccine supply provided by federal and state entities, pharmacists should strive to adhere to these CDC-reviewed recommendations. (PDF)
- Vaccination Basics: Comprehensive FAQ guide for pharmacists vaccinating during the COVID-19 pandemic. (PDF)
- Testing Basics: FAQ on the basics of COVID-19 tests, including molecular, antigen, and antibody tests, as well as testing activities and understanding test performance when counseling patients. (PDF)
- Pharmacists' Guide to Authorized COVID-19 Tests and the CLIA Waiver Process: FAQ guide to how COVID-19 tests are authorized, which tests are appropriate for your pharmacy setting, and how and why to obtain a CLIA Certificate of Waiver. (PDF) -
- Authority to Test for COVID-19: Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians, and Pharmacy Interns: FAQ on pharmacist, pharmacy intern, and technician authority from the federal level to the state level, including the HHS actions and the requirements that must be met. (PDF)
- Pharmacy Models for COVID-19 Testing: Interactive step-by-step overview of two common models—specimen collection in partnership with a laboratory, and point-of-care testing—and the associated payment opportunities at this time. (PDF)
- Telehealth in Your Pharmacy Practice: Comprehensive FAQ on applying telehealth to your pharmacy practice. Learn about using innovative technology to care for patients during COVID-19—from HIPAA to Medicare and commercial payers to additional telehealth resources. (PDF)
- Pharmacists' Referrals for Monoclonal Antibody Treatment: FAQ guide on assessing patients for potential COVID-19 treatment with monoclonal antibodies. (PDF) - NEW!
- Medications Being Studied for COVID-19: Chart that outlines key information and recommendations for treatments being studied for COVID-19. (PDF) - NEW!
Managing Your Pharmacy
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) During the Pandemic: FAQ guide on the effective use of PPE to protect pharmacy personnel and patients. Staying current with updated recommendations and guidance will help keep everyone safe and minimize the spread of the virus. (PDF - Minimum Requirements Chart)
- Tips for Protecting Community Pharmacists and Pharmacy Staff from COVID-19: Tips for workflow improvements—to prescription orders and refills, transactions, staff, and the pharmacy—that can decrease the risk of exposure to infected patients. (PDF)
- Managing Suspected Cases of COVID-19 in Ambulatory Care/Community Pharmacy Settings: All pharmacies should have an action plan—and pharmacy personnel should be ready to implement that plan. (PDF)
- Cleaning and Disinfecting: FAQ on taking appropriate measures to reduce the transmission of the virus in your pharmacy practice. (PDF)
- COVID-19 Fraudulent Medical Products and Scams: Examples of fraud and scams, red flags, and tips to protect pharmacists and patients. (PDF) - UPDATED!
Practicing on the Front Line
- COVID-19 Basics: Access key links for pharmacy personnel to the latest information on the disease and care delivery, practice changes, and managing well-being. (PDF)
- The NABP Passport: Facilitating Practice Across State Lines: FAQ on the temporary emergency licensure process during COVID-19 for pharmacists who want to serve patients in communities that cross state lines and licensing jurisdictions. (PDF)
- Engaging the Pharmacist Workforce to Address the COVID-19 Crisis: FAQ on volunteer opportunities for pharmacists and student pharmacists via in-person or virtual formats to assist local communities or neighboring states. (PDF)
Preparing Your Health System
- Operational Approaches for Health-System Pharmacy Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Lessons on preparing and adapting your health-system pharmacy based on the experiences of pharmacy leadership in a multihospital health system in the Houston, TX, region. (PDF)
- Optimizing Your Health-System Pharmacy Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Pharmacy leaders from Mount Sinai Health System in New York, NY, and Med Center Health in Bowling Green, KY, offer advice on how they're tackling COVID-19 at their institutions. (PDF)
Providing Outpatient Pharmacy Services in a Field/Surge Hospital: Checklist of considerations compiled by the pharmacy team at UNC Health that may be helpful when determining whether to provide outpatient pharmacy services in a field/surge hospital. (PDF)